Friday, July 30, 2010

Can I file taxes this year if I am a married unemployed college student?

I got married in August 2007 but my husband is not a US citizen yet as we are going through immigration. I did not work and was a full-time student getting grants, perkin loans, and unsubsidized loans. Can I file taxes this year in order to get the economy boost check? It's the first year I haven't worked and I feel like I'd like to contribute to the economy and this would really help me. I got some sort of W Forms from the university because of my loans.Can I file taxes this year if I am a married unemployed college student?
Though this doesn't answer your question directly, I can answer this: I (an american citizen) am married to someone who isn't an american citizen either. They can actually get a tax ID # from the IRS and pay taxes - even if they are illegally here in the USA. My husband has one and pays his taxes with me every year. If he worked, he does have to file. The IRS only wants their money and they care less about legal status - citizen or not.Can I file taxes this year if I am a married unemployed college student?
If you don't have at least $3000 of earned income for 2007, and you don't pay at least $300 in taxes for the year, you aren't eligible for the rebate.





But I admire your patriotism in wanting to help contribute to the economy by having the government give you money to spend.





You got some sort of W forms? What? You'd have gotten a form showing your tuition and fees, and grants, but the form wouldn't have had a W in it.
According to some schloarships, loans and grants you must file a return. You also may be eligible for earned income credit. Also if your husband is an permanent resident alien and has a social security number to work you may be able to file jointly. The school sent you a form stating how much tuition that you paid and you can use that as a credit or a deduction on your return.
you dont file taxes if you dont work taxes are just for people on payrolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment