Saturday, August 21, 2010

How does getting married in the Navy work?

My boyfriend is in navy boot camp now. We have been together for three years and we eventually want to get married (like in two years or so). How does that work when he is in the Navy? Is he guaranteed leave for the wedding? If so, how long do they get off? Is it long enough to go on a honeymoon? Any info would be helpful, and appreciated! Thanks!How does getting married in the Navy work?
I had a relationship for five years before the navy and it did not work. Then I got married to a someone new several years later and it too failed. Last I checked 97% of first term sailors marriages fail. The relationships I had were very strong but there is no real way to deal with the trials of Navy life for the sailor or spouse. The sailor does get paid significantly more if he is married, but I really don't recommend it. There is no amount of money, for me at least, that is worth losing the one you love. Think very hard about it and if you do decide to get involved in all the support activities for spouses, it will help. He will still be deployed and you will be alone to handle everything by your self, not knowing if he is ok, cheating, or spending money on ridiculous things in foreign ports. He is not guaranteed leave for a weeding, but if he puts in a leave 'chit' and its approved then the only real reason it will be revoked is in case of a national emergency. The most I was ever approved for leave was two weeks at a time, and thats if you have the time saved up. Two weeks should be enough for a wedding and honeymoon for most people. Your best source would be to find out what coomand he will be going to and talk with their ombudsman. Good luck, you will need it. I hope everything works out for you.How does getting married in the Navy work?
Well Danny, don't let your boyfriend talk about you or marry or he will be kicked out. I'm kidding but that's what I thought I would have to post at first. It will come out of his leave and he can get married honey moon as long as it isn't during or right before a deployment. good luck. Were you in the navy mrs.job? That sounds like a really crappy command if so. Other than a deployment there was never any reason to deny leave. Yeah 2 weeks is usually the most unless you're taking terminal leave. That's plenty of time for a wedding and honeymoon if planned right.
ooh Im in the same predicament. My bf just finished boot camp in January, and is now in South Carolina. I was wondering the same exact thing. We have been together for a while, and has been hinting to my mother (his exact words to her were ';How would you like to have a Navy man as a son-in-law?';) that he would love to keep me forever. I hope you get some good answers, cuz i will be checking back frequently ^_^





Best of luck to you


Hope everything turns out WONDERFUL!
leave is NEVER guaranteed. took five years before DH and I could take a honeymoon.





the wedding was pushed back three times because he was underway.





leave is usually maxed out at 2 weeks at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment